Hello! My name is . . . (The Buckman/Magnusson/Spiller Collection of graffiti stickers!)




Below: The original proposal to Franklin Furnace.
(Click on any image to see it bigger. For the artist's book, scroll to bottom.)




Below: the letter of acceptance from Franklin Furnace.


Below: the press release for the exhibition.

Below: the postcard for the show was a crack and peel sticker
with original art by Jay "J.SON" Edlin.


Dec. 1, 2017 email conversation:

Norm: Did I ever mention how much I love it that the guy on the invite is NOT “down wif duh stickuh show”?

Adam: That is one of the great characteristics of Jay's design of that invite -- that the guy is totally dismissive of it.  That was Jay's concept, if I recall correctly.

Harley: When Jay did that one night I was shocked and bummed but had no recourse and it was the prevalent feeling among real train writers. Now I love it too. And Jay is still my friend from 1970! And you two came along and stick w me too. 

Adam: I always thought it was hilarious -- to have an invitation that was dismissive of the very show it was inviting you to.







Below: One of the most fun reviews of the original exhibition.

"Hello! My name is . . . " was one of Art in America's best shows of the year.

Below: Norm Magnusson on the steps of the Franklin Furnace during the exhibition.


Below: The World Trade Centers reflected in the window of the Franklin Furnace, adorned with exhibition materials.


Below: installation and detail shots of the exhibition.
(Click on any image to see it bigger.)














Below: tagging was encouraged at the exhibition and every surface of the museum was covered.
























Below: neatly presented stickers from Adam Buckman's collection.

























Below: "New York Off Time", a Japanese tv show came and covered the show.



 The artist's book that accompanied the "Hello! My name is . . . " exhibition.
It's now in the permanent collection of NY's Museum of Modern Art.


COVER


"ESSAY" BY HARLEY SPILLER


"ESSAY" BY HARLEY SPILLER p. 2



ESSAY BY NORM MAGNUSSON



ESSAY BY NORM MAGNUSSON p.2



ESSAY BY ADAM BUCKMAN







Comments